Monday, August 29, 2011

To Tell or Not To Tell...

When I first got diagnosed with lupus, there was the question of whether or not to share the information with my co-workers.  I probably didn't think through it as much as I should have, but since I was out of work for 2 weeks, they were concerned about me, and I decided to tell them about my diagnosis.  Part of my decision was because I knew I'd have to take additional time off for frequent doctor visits and in case I started flaring.  I've only shared the information with the 6 others in my immediate work group, and I'm very lucky that they've been very understanding.  It turns out that 1 of the 6 also has lupus, so we're able to relate on some level.  The culture of my organization is also one that puts a high emphasis on personal well-being and family.  I'm also very lucky to work in a flexible work environment which allows me to work flex hours and work from home if needed.

I know that the decision to share this kind of information with your co-workers is a very personal one and can depend on a number of factors.  I know other lupies have not been as lucky as I have been.  Often times others do not understand lupus, and because it is a disease in which you don't LOOK sick, many times people don't realize when you are in pain or fatigued.  I'll admit that before I experienced fatigue, I didn't understand it and how it is different than just being tired or lazy.  Sometimes co-workers can resent that you need to take so much time off from work or that you can't function at 100% due to the lupus fog.

I don't want lupus to be an excuse for why I can't do things, but I guess I'm hoping it will serve as some kind of explanation as to why I may need to take it slower sometimes...and I think that is something that everyone should do, lupus or not.

- a little lupie -

No comments:

Post a Comment