Friday, October 21, 2011

A Hit of the 'Crit

I have been feeling pretty drained for the past week or so.  Even after a full night's sleep, I wake up feeling tired, and I drag throughout the day.  I've found myself being more aware of rationing out my spoons for the day.

When I went to see Hemey today, I knew my blood count would be low, and it was.  My hemoglobin was at 9.3, so Hemey asked me again if I wanted to try the Procrit.  I have been thinking about it the past couple weeks, and the thought of actually feeling "normal" and having energy has been quite alluring.  I decided to give it a try.  I had to sign the consent form since Procrit is a black box drug then got a quick, painless shot in the arm.  Procrit is a Erythropoiesis-Stimulating Agent (ESA) which stimulates the bone marrow to make more red blood cells.  I'll need to get weekly shots, and it may be a month before I start to feel the results.  I'm a little bummed because I was hoping for a quick-fix that I'd feel instantly like I did with Prednisone.  I see Hemey again in three weeks, so we'll see if the Procrit starts to work for me...

- a little lupie -

No comments:

Post a Comment