Friday, May 24, 2013

Read to me!

I'm not sure if anyone else will remember this catchy jingle that used to be on tv years ago...

Read me a story daddy…
Read to me out loud.
I’ve got a hungry mind, mama…
I want to grow up to make you proud.
A book a day is brain food.
Vitamins A, B, C…
So read me a story, daily, daddy…
Read to me.
Mama, won’t you read to me. Yeah!

(I looked for a YouTube video of it but couldn't find anything.  I did find it mentioned on the Rotary Club of Honolulu's website, so at least I know I'm not crazy and making this up in my head...)

If you remember the song, yay!  If not, I will just move on...

I remember my mom reading to me when I was little...and even not so little.  The two books I remember most are The Boxcar Children and The Ghost of Windy Hill.  My mom always says I remember the most random things.

I continued to be an avid reader, but it has been a really long time since someone read aloud to me...until now.  I visited the State Public Library's site for ebooks and found a couple titles that I wanted to borrow were only available as an audiobook, not as an ebook.  I decided to give it a try.  The titles I wanted had waitlists, so I searched for some other titles that were available to give it a try and see if I even liked listening to audiobooks.  I decided to listen to Angels & Demons by Dan Brown even though I had already read the book a couple times.  I wanted to refresh the story in preparation of reading the later books in the Robert Langdon series.  It was a little weird at first, because I have heard narration out loud in a while, but I quickly got used to it.  One thing I liked was being able to hear the pronunciation of words that I typically gloss over or make up my own sound for in my head when reading silently (usually things in foreign languages or unfamiliar names).

Anyway, I wanted to bring this up because I found it to be a great relaxing activity.  On the days when even watching tv seems too exhausting, I can lay down, close my eyes, and listen to a book.  On the days when I'm not so tired, I can listen to the book while still doing other things around the house.  Another plus is that when my joints are sore, I don't have to worry about holding a book/e-reader.  This might become my new favorite way to "read"!

- a little lupie -

2 comments:

  1. I do remember this! I was also looking for the video when I found your blog. No luck so far. Good luck on your search

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the first part of this 10 minute video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nae28js0rxM

    ReplyDelete