Saturday, April 9, 2011

Haircut

It's been about a year since my last haircut.  Despite not wanting to lose any more hair, I went in today to get my hair cut.  With the amount of hair I have been losing, my hair is really thinning out and the ends were starting to look limp and straggly.

I explained to the hairdresser that I had started some medication that was causing me to lose my hair.  She said that she's had 4 clients recently tell her the same thing.  She helped me clean up my straggly ends but kept some layers in to add some style and bounce.  She also gave me a few tips to help my hair grow.

First, she said to stop babying my hair (I told her how I tried to avoid touching my hair much to keep it from falling out).  Instead, she encouraged me to brush my hair often since it will remove the loose hairs (which are going to fall out anyway) and will get circulation going to the scalp, which is what will help the hair to grow.

She also suggested trying a Korean seaweed soup.  She recently gave birth and her mother-in-law made this soup for her every day.  She thinks the iron in the seaweed helped to prevent the normal hair loss that occurs after delivery.

Another tip she gave me was to take care of the scalp by massaging it with olive oil for five minutes, wrapping it in a hot towel for ten minutes, then washing it out with shampoo (no conditioner).  She says it is important to keep the hair follicles clean and clear so that they do not get clogged and prevent the hair from growing.

I'll give some of these tips a try and report back -- what do I have to lose...besides more hair?

- a little lupie -

4/10/11 EDIT:  Aunty Lupette asked about special shampoos like Nioxin.  I forgot to mention that my hair dresser did suggest trying a special shampoo for hair growth (though she wasn't specific in a brand), but  she didn't have any personal experience with it.  She also showed me some places on my neck and collar bone to massage to stimulate the hormones that could encourage hair growth.  She gave me many tips, so hopefully at least one of them will work!  She said the important thing would be to continue doing it consistently...it won't make a big difference if I only try a couple times then stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment