Sunday, May 15, 2011

So Proud of Myself!

I took my first dose of azathioprine this weekend, and I am proud to say...I swallowed the pill! For anyone who has watched me try to take medicine, you know this is no small task. It usually takes me 10-15 minutes as I sit staring at the pill and try to visualize swallowing it, even doing some practice gulps. Even if I crush the pill or chew it, I need to psych myself up to dealing with the taste and gulping it down. I am getting sick of chewing my hydroxychloquine pills, and just the taste of it initiates the gag reflex these days. It has gotten to the point where I need to gag before I can even swallow the chewed pill.

Over the last few months, I've been able to swallow my prednisone regularly, my levothyroxine sometimes, and now my azathioprine a couple times. It is progress! I'm hoping to master these three small pills soon so that I can "graduate" to swallowing my hydroxychloquine without chewing.


- a little lupie -

1 comment:

  1. That's great, Jamie! Good first step. When I learned to swallow pills, I had to visualize the whole process to psych myself out: put the pill as far back on my tongue as possible, take a slow sip of a healthy gulp of water, throw back my head, and let the water swoosh in and carry the pill down in one big swallow. It's all mental!!!

    ReplyDelete