Thursday, May 19, 2011

One Lucky Lupie

Have I mentioned how wonderful my lupettes are?!  I really am lucky to have such a great support group around me.  I have aunties who travel the world and bring me back seaweed from Korea to help with my hair loss and meltaway pain relievers from Sydney because I can't swallow pills.  Friends and family constantly ask how I am doing, and I am always happy to hear that people are reading my blog :)

Remember my bestie?  We went out for her birthday today, and she bought me a gift!  Even though we haven't spent much time together in the past couple months, she always knows just what I need.  Back in January when I first got diagnosed, there were a number of things I wanted to get -- a pill box, a book on lupus, and a pillow to help me sit up in bed.  Without even mentioning any of this to her, I get a lupie grab bag of exactly that and a bunch of other lotions and ointments to help me with my joint pain.

I had been coming to terms with the fact that a cane would help me on days when the joint pain in my knees and toes make it difficult to walk, and today, bestie gave me a cane!  She didn't just go out and pick out any cane...as is typical with her, she did research on how to fit a cane, different handle styles, and even took into account how "fashionable" it was.  I didn't know so much went into buying a cane!  She even talked to other cane users to learn about what characteristics to look for.  After a week and a half of visiting stores and doing research, she got me an adjustable offset handle walking cane with a cushioned grip and strap.  She is always so thoughtful (Though I joked with her that where our gifts once consisted of makeup and cute tops, we have moved on to pill boxes and canes.  My last gift to her was a floor cleaner.  Not the most glamorous gifts, but practical and very much appreciated!).

I also want to give a shout out to all the other lupettes out there.  I appreciate all the concern you have shown and the time you have taken to learn more about lupus.  I really am one lucky lupie!

- a little lupie -

No comments:

Post a Comment