Wednesday, June 1, 2011

A Lupie Home

Now that the deal is done, I can finally share the news that we bought a new home!  It has been a dream of ours for a while, but it all happened so suddenly and quickly.  We had a relatively short close, so our days were packed with paperwork, inspections, planning, and daydreaming.  Because of my lupus, I tried to stay calm and not get too stressed.  It is almost ironic to stress about not stressing.  I just knew I didn't want to break out in hives like I did the week before our wedding.  I think I've done a good job of staying organized, relying on help from others, and not worrying about the little things.

As we look at moving into the home and evaluate some of the changes we need to make, our decisions are already being affected by my condition.  We are looking ahead at changing the step-in tub into a walk-in shower with a seat and grip bars.  I'm a little torn because it might be nice to have a bathtub to soak in to help ease joint pain.  Our bathroom is not big enough for both, so it is something we'll need to think about a little more.





There are also little choices that we've already made such as choosing door levers instead of door knobs, which are hard for me to grasp and turn.  They're a little more expensive, but worth it in the long run.







As we think about our fixtures, there are things I know I want to avoid...like this faucet (which we have in our current rental).  It is really hard for me to turn on when my joints are acting up.

Sometimes I feel like lupus is like my body getting old at an accelerated pace.  Some of these choices are things that most people think about as they get older, but they are rarely the concerns of a 30-year old.

We are very excited about our new home and can't wait to move in and get settled.  More updates are sure to come!

- a little lupie -

3 comments:

  1. CONGRATS, Jamie and Keith! I can't wait to come and visit your new home! When is move-in day?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Liz! We are hoping to move in slowly over the next month :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the kind of shower I want too! mama

    ReplyDelete