Saturday, March 12, 2011

Experiential Learning

As part of my MBA program, we were required to take a mandatory experiential learning course.  It was an "adventure-based leadership training program," and I was dreading it.  It was one of those touchy-feely classes where you had to do group activities and share your thoughts and feelings with a bunch of strangers.  On top of that, the class involved going on a retreat that lasted the entire weekend!  I worked full-time and went to school at night -- the thought of losing a whole weekend upset me.  I took the class to get it out of the way, but it ended up being my favorite class ever and one of the best experiences in my life.

Through this class, I learned a lot about myself, pushed myself outside of my comfort zone, and grew as a person.  I recently found my reflection journal that we had to write in throughout the class.  I had kept an open mind and spent a lot of time documenting all my thoughts and feelings.  It was interesting to read through it all and remind myself of the lessons I had learned (and may have forgotten over the years).  One of the things I write about is how the class changed me.  "I am more confident and less worried about the future because I know that I will be able to handle anything that comes my way."  As I re-read these words that I had written so long ago, it struck a chord with me and my fight with lupus.  I don't know what challenges lupus will bring, but I am ready to handle anything it throws my way.  Its funny to think that this class that I dreaded so much has taught me so much and has given me the strength I need to face life's challenges.

On a side note, I also read that our class was considering doing a volunteer project with the lupus foundation.  At the time, I don't think I even knew what lupus was.  We ended up volunteering with the diabetes association for logistical reasons, but just found it interesting that I mentioned lupus.  I was so removed from it at the time that I didn't give it much thought.  Ironically, it consumes much of my thoughts these days...

- a little lupie -

No comments:

Post a Comment