Thursday, March 10, 2011

New Lupus Drug Approved by the FDA!

Several of my lupettes sent me articles they came across today about a new lupus drug, Benlysta, being approved by the FDA yesterday.  I had heard of it before but never read much about it.  The approval of Benlysta is a big deal in lupie world because it is the first treatment breakthrough in 52 years.  In addition, it is the first drug that was developed specifically to treat lupus.  Prior medications include plaquenil (an anti-malarial drug), prednisone (a corticosteroid), and aspirin.
What I didn't realize until reading the articles was that this is a once-a-month, injectable medication.  No pills?!  That peaked my interest right away.  I'll definitely need to do more research on it and will ask Rhumey about it on my next visit.

Here are some of the recent articles that came out following the FDA approval:
FDA Press Release: FDA approves Benlysta to treat lupus
LA Times - Lupus drug offers long-awaited hope
New York Times - FDA panel backs drug for lupus
CNN Health - FDA approves drug to treat lupus
Lupus Foundation of America - LFA applauds FDA's decision to approve Benlysta

There is much, much more out there, but this is a good start...

- a little lupie -

No comments:

Post a Comment